Coronavirus

1st trace of new omicron subvariant detected in Onondaga County

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

In Onondaga County, 286 residents tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday.

Onondaga County is the first in New York state to have cases of the new coronavirus subvariant BA2.12 as of Wednesday. The variant is more contagious than previous variants, Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon said.

The New York State Department of Health’s Wadsworth Center identified the presence of the subvariant of BA.2, BA.2.12.

BA.2 is a subvariant of omicron, which was first identified in Onondaga County on Dec. 13, 2021.

“BA.2 was 40% more contagious than the original omicron, and BA.2.12 is even more contagious than that,” McMahon said in a press release.

As of Saturday, 80.6% of COVID-19 cases are BA2.12 and BA2.12.1, according to the New York state website.

Onondaga County’s rate is about 52 daily cases per 100,000 residents. In Onondaga County, 286 residents tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday.

“We are alerting the public to two omicron subvariants, newly emerged and rapidly spreading in upstate New York, so New Yorkers can act swiftly,” said State Health Commissioner Dr. Mary T. Bassett. “While these subvariants are new, the tools to combat them are not. These tools will work if we each use them.”

The New York State Department of Health recommends being fully vaccinated and boosted in addition to wearing a mask in public indoor areas, testing after exposure to COVID-19 or after experiencing symptoms, staying home if positive and seeking treatment from healthcare providers.

Additionally, the department recommends improving air ventilation or gathering outdoors to reduce transmission rates, especially with the upcoming and current holidays. The department recommends continually monitoring new information about the variant via its website.