Coronavirus

New York lifts mask mandate to align with CDC guidelines starting Wednesday

Emily Steinberger | Editor in Chief

Masks are still required for unvaccinated people, as well as on public transit, in schools and in some communal settings.

UPDATED: May 17, 2021 at 3:45 p.m

Syracuse University vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and innovation J. Michael Haynie said in a campus-wide email this afternoon that he expects to receive guidance from New York state “very soon” on the new masking policy. Mask and social distancing requirements are still enforced for some other communal settings as stated in the latest policy from Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Haynie said in the email.

“I am happy to share that effective Monday, May 24, Syracuse University plans to begin a phased implementation of an amended campus policy on masking and social distancing, that we expect to be generally consistent with the new CDC recommendations” Haynie said in the email.

Haynie also said that the current policy regarding mask wearing and social distancing will remain in place until the end of commencement due to the large number of visitors coming to campus.

Effective May 19, New York state will lift the mask mandate for fully vaccinated people, Cuomo announced at a press conference Monday.

“If you are vaccinated, you are safe,” Cuomo said. “No masks, no social distancing.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday that fully vaccinated people can stop wearing masks in most situations. New York state will adopt the CDC’s new mask and social distancing guidance for vaccinated people, Cuomo tweeted Monday.

Masks are still required for unvaccinated people, as well as on public transit, in schools and in some communal settings, Cuomo said. Private businesses are still allowed to mandate masks if they want, he said.

Syracuse University previously announced that it would not change its guidance on wearing masks on campus until the New York State Department of Health issues recommendations, according to Haynie in a campus-wide email Friday morning.

41.6% of New York residents are fully vaccinated and 50% of New Yorkers have received at least one dose, according to the state’s COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker.

This post has been updated with additional reporting.