Beyond the Hill

Destiny USA organizes sensory-friendly events

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

In Destiny USA mall, several entertainment businesses are working to incorporate sensory-friendly events, including WonderWorks, Apex Entertainment and Museum of Intrigue.

WonderWorks, a 40,000-square-foot center of “edutainment,” as stated on its website, hosts Sensory Days throughout the year. These days allow for families with children with disabilities to have an opportunity to exclusively enjoy the park.

Alysn Lyons, the sales and marketing coordinator of Syracuse’s WonderWorks, said WonderWorks takes numerous measures to becomes a sensory-friendly environment on Sensory Days. She said it turns down the music, as well as any and all appliances that are loud, to create a “more inclusive environment.”

Lyons, who has been working with WonderWorks for nearly a year, said she believes the days have become more popular as she has seen attendance increase.

“We want to create an environment in which everyone is welcome and comfortable,” Lyons said.

She said while there is little work that the park has to do in order to become sensory sensitive, the days are invaluable for families who may not be able to enjoy the park on a typical day.

Sign up for The Daily Orange Newsletter

*
* indicates required

Sam Miller, the marketing manager of Apex Entertainment in Marlborough, Massachusetts, said that he generated the idea of autism awareness hours for Apex. The one-hour sensory friendly events are held the first Saturday of each month.

“I was the person who initially started the conversation with advocates for autism in Massachusetts and talked to them about what an autism-welcoming environment is and how to become one,” Miller said.

Apex includes attractions such as bumper cars, arcades and bowling.

Miller stated that the Massachusetts Apex partnered with a nonprofit autism organization that gave recommendations on how to make the facility welcoming. He added that most of the suggestions were to dim the lights and turn down the music, as the environment can be very stimulating.

“We have autism-welcoming kits that include sunglasses to help dim lights, headphones if the music is overwhelming, and little toys so they can distract themselves,” Miller said. “We also have a special room if someone needs for composing themselves.”

Miller said that he personally has seen the need for environments to be inclusive for all.

“We hear stories about parents and their children can have an episode and how other parents would judge them, give them unfriendly looks, or say ‘Why can’t you control your kid?’” Miller said. “And it’s not necessarily their fault, it’s the situation they’re in, and how it can be overstimulating.”

Miller stated that hearing those stories are “heartbreaking.”

While the hours are specifically hosted for individuals and families who are autistic, Miller said that all people are welcome to come.

“This time is mainly for people that are on the spectrum and their families,” Miller said. “We try to leave it to them specifically so that they can have an environment where they are comfortable and don’t feel like they’re getting judged.”

Currently, autism hours are held within the Apex locations in Marlborough, Massachusetts and Syracuse.

Finally, the Museum of Intrigue, which serves as an escape room center, is an everyday 24/7 sensory-friendly environment. The director, Leila Dean, says that being a sensory-friendly environment was of great importance to co-owner Nicole Ginsburg.

“We have on our locations sensory backpacks that include different objects, quiet spaces, noise canceling headphones and weighted blankets for anyone feeling overwhelmed,” Dean said.

Dean explained by being a continuous sensory-friendly entertainment center, everyone is welcome to come.

“Everyone wants to have fun, right?” Dean said. “Everybody wants to explore and have an adventure in their lives. By being all-inclusive, we help all families to enjoy being adventurous.”