Beat writers split on whether Syracuse can keep winning streak alive

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Last time Notre Dame and Syracuse met, the Fighting Irish won, 88-87.

Syracuse (11-7, 4-3 Atlantic Coast) looks to stretch its three-game win streak to four on the road against Notre Dame (11-6, 2-4) on Jan. 22. SU lost to Notre Dame in the first game after the new year, 88-87.

Here are the beat writers’ picks for Wednesday’s game.

Nick Alvarez (13-5)
Comeback kid
Notre Dame 75, Syracuse 69

Syracuse’s winning streak has allowed Mike to climb back into these predictions, and that simply needs to stop. Credit to where it’s due, however. SU’s young team is on a roll. The Orange are rising to their potential with unreal shooting performances by Buddy Boeheim, and a stingier 2-3 zone has knocked out a trio of bad offensive teams. Syracuse’s offensive and defensive efficiency currently ranks third and fourth, respectively, in the ACC. And while Notre Dame isn’t a stalwart, they have John Mooney: the 6-foot-10 difference-maker the Orange haven’t seen on their current run. He’s averaging 15.1 rebounds per game at home and scored 28 when these teams met a few weeks ago. It’ll be close, but when it comes to Bourama Sidibe/Marek Dolezaj against Mooney, I’ll go with one of the best rebounders in the country.

Michael McCleary (12-6)
Irish Exit
Syracuse 78, Notre Dame 74

Syracuse is here to stay. Well, at least for one more game. Eventually, one would think that the constant traveling will get to them, but I think the Orange might be able to stretch their luck to one more win on the road. SU’s postseason chances are still on life support, but a win in one of its next two games could give it the boost in needs to limit the amount of legwork necessary in the second half of conference play. Many people will be surprised, and deservedly so, if Syracuse is able to pull off yet another road win. But the Orange are playing their best basketball of the season, and if it’s going to happen again, it might as well happen now.

Josh Schafer (13-5)
Luck of the Irish
Notre Dame 77 Syracuse 70

First off, I’d like to trademark that as a Notre Dame beat writer tagline. I’m sure no one’s used it before. Anyway, there are too many factors working against Syracuse here. Notre Dame is good — in the post and beyond the arc — in areas that have plagued Syracuse. It looks like the Orange have fixed many of those issues, but we’ll find out for sure on Wednesday. John Mooney, who’s not recorded double-double in just two games this season, will be too much too handle for SU in the middle. It’s no fault of Syracuse; he’s too much for everyone. That combined with another road conference game might be too much for Syracuse to string together another win.